Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Hacktivist Reaction

              After screening the documentary on Hacktivism and the Anonymous culture, I must admit that this post is difficult to write, considering the film left me speechless.  Yes, I had already known what a hacker was, and yes, I had known what 4 chan was, yet I had assumed that both were associated with nerdy, middle aged men living in their mother's basements (stereotypical, I know.)  I had heard of the kinds of things that were posted on 4 chan, and while they were laughable, the thought in the back of my mind was still, "Wow, these people really must have nothing better to do."  It seemed to just be a funny way to waste time.  However, this documentary has changed my view completely on the "computer nerd" culture and on websites similar to 4 chan.  I know see what power they truly hold, and it amazes me.  I found it in a way beautiful to see how this group "Anonymous" came together at first to simply cause mischief that they found amusing, but soon used this community that they had to stand up for what they believed in, and to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment