Monday, September 30, 2013

Who's Philip K. Dick?

Who is Philip K. Dick?  Before reading this article, I honestly would not have known.  Maybe I've been living under a rock, but it seems to me that for a man that has contributed so much to the world of art and technology, he has not nearly got enough recognition.  This is the first I am ever hearing of Philip K. Dick, but I can remember hearing references to the films Blade Runner and Minority Report since I was young.  Although I have never read his novels and still don't know much about him, this article gave me a great sense of all that Dick brought to the world of science fiction.  He was bold.  He was odd.  He was unconventional.  At the time, these were the qualities that made even his colleagues question and judge him.  However, we now see what a pioneer and creative genius Dick actually was.  He saw his genre in a different way than other authors and filmmakers did.  He saw that science fiction did not need to be so "cookie-cutter;" involving the same themes and settings and general ideas in each story.  He broke boundaries and showed audiences a new take on sic-fi that was shocking, yet ultimately appreciated for its originality.  Philip K. Dick was like no other, and, sadly, as the article says, "...we will not see his like again."



No comments:

Post a Comment