Monday, February 3, 2014

Letters to a Young Contrarian: Chapter One

I must admit that my overall impression of this first chapter was not the most positive one.  With many words that are not normally in my vocabulary and many historical figures I had never heard of before, most of the chapter went way over my head.  However, I was fortunately able to grasp the general concept: the idea of dissent.  In this first chapter we are introduced to the idea of being a "radical," or "rebel," or basically anyone who goes or has gone against societies grain.  Without the people mentioned in the first chapter (although I was unaware of their existence before) the rebels of present day may not have found their inspiration.  It is these radicals before us that pave their own paths, and thus, allow us to do the same.  Although the chapter gave general information on this idea of dissenting, it gave me quite a lot to think about.  I sat, and sit here now, wondering what kind of person I have been all these 18 years.  Have I been following the crowd?  Is it holding me back?  THese are definitely questions that I will further explore as I continue to read from Letters to a Young Contrarian.  As the chapter came to a close, its final sentence stood out to me the most; "It is something you are, and not something you do."  To me this means that being a trailblazer is not merely defined by actions, anyone can muster up the courage to do something radical once in their life.  Instead, it is defined by your entire being; how you carry yourself and how you relate with others, along with your thoughts, ideas and actions.  The concept of dissenting is usually rare, but it is always worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment