Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Instagram Photo Project





















When first assigned this project, I was sure that I had it in the bag.  I would take pictures of what I felt represented my life, and hopefully present them in a creative, vintage way that would represent my style and taste.  The first part went well, above you will see 20 photos that begin to represent me as a person; they display people and places I love, my vegan lifestyle, my leisure activities, my favorite foods and animals, and mementos that are important to me.  However, when it came to displaying these creatively in a way that showed something I care about, I struggled greatly.  I first attempted polaroids, not real ones, but printing the pictures and leaving white edges to give a polaroid effect.  It had the vintage feel I was looking for, but it was completely overdone, so that idea was tossed.  Then, as I hunted for inspiration in local stores, I remembered the art of the "newspaper nails," where one can dip their finger in rubbing alcohol and press newsprint on their nail, and it will stick.  I assumed the printed photos would work the same way, and that I could actually wear them on my nails.  After buying all of the supplies, I soon came to find that this was not the case.  Another failed attempt had been made.  Finally, just in time, the idea to create each photo into a fortune teller came to me.  I can't quite recall how it did, but I knew it was the right choice for my project for more than one reason.  First off, each of these pictures show something that either represents my past, present, or both.  Yet, they are all things that make me who I am, and thus set me up for my future.  It seemed only fitting that the pictures be folded into an object that represents what the future will hold.  A second reason that this project is suiting for me as a person is because I myself am very future oriented.  Sometimes it can be a bad thing, and I often find myself worrying about what the future will hold for me.  My past and present definitely keep me grounded, and using them in a way that also shows my future is a nice reminder of how great of a life I have.  Inside of each fortune teller is a quote having to do with the future or the past, and they are meant to inspire others to cherish what is dear to them.  After many failed ideas, I am finally happy with the project and the meaning that it conveys.  




No comments:

Post a Comment