Friday, November 1, 2013

Archetype vs. Stereotype

So what is an archetype?  In class, we watched many clips on the life of Orlan, and she spoke towards the end of how her life was about breaking away from archetypes, or what is considered typical.  To me, it is very clear that this was her life goal, and I feel that she executed it perfectly.  She broke away from the norm, and did things for herself and not to impress others.  When I first heard the word archetype, I truly had never heard it used before.  My immediate thought was that it would have a similar definition to the word stereotype.  However, an archetype is something that is typical, while a stereotype is a fixed image that people hold to be true, although it is often oversimplified and sometimes offensive.  I am honestly glad for this quick assignment and feel much better about understanding the difference between the two words.

No comments:

Post a Comment