Monday, October 21, 2013

Man Ray's Emak-Bakia: Surreal

After watching this short, silent, black and white film by Man Ray, I can't say that I fully understand it. Then again, Man Ray once said that he never wished to be understood, only accepted, and I fully accept the film.  There are many aspects of it that I find really beautiful and unique, such as the camera angles at which everything was shot.  Whether it was objects spinning, feet walking, or a woman opening and closing her painted eyelids, every angle was from a point of view that normally wouldn't be seen.  I really found this interesting.  I also enjoyed to see how Man Ray experimented with putting his rayographs into film form.  This was a first for him and I noticed it especially because I made rayographs in my high school photography class, yet at the time I was not taught anything about Man Ray himself.  Looking at the short film overall, one can tell that it is under the category of surrealism, as was the rest of Man Ray's art.  Today in class we learned that surrealism involves expanding one's mind and imagination and ignoring all limitations.  Surrealism involves things that are very unrealistic and eccentric, and it is clear to see how this film came from somewhere deep in Man Ray's imagination.  I also found it interesting that Emak Bakia means "Leave me alone," because I'm sure that this ties into the culture of Dada and the rebellious movements that went along with it.  Overall, I find Man Ray to be an incredible artist and thinker, as well as an adorably funny man, and will always appreciate his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment